Sol 3, Mutter Spiral
- ALLIANCE The Alliance was a loose federation between Earth, some of its colonies (independent from it or not), and several alien powers, such as the Draconians (QQQ) and the Cyrennic Empire (5A), whose purpose was to fight the Cybermen and the Daleks. The Alliance was probably formed during the First Cyber Wars early in the 23rd Century (4D).
During the 25th Century, the Daleks tried to use a space plague against the Alliance (XXX). The result was the Second Dalek War, which forced the Daleks away from Skaro.
In the 26th Century, the Alliance met on Earth to discuss the renewed Cybermen threat. The Cybermen tried to sabotage the conference, and a Second Cyber Wars followed (6B).
The Daleks and the Master tried breaking apart the Alliance by fomenting a war between Earth and the Draconian Empire (QQQ). They then prepared to attack the Alliance with a huge invisible army based on Spiridon, but that plot was averted by the Third Doctor and the Thals (SSS). A Third Dalek War ensued.
All these wars depleted the resources of the Alliance, and in particular that of the older Draconian Empire. Under the pressure of Earth's growing imperialism, the Alliance eventually broke apart in the 27th Century.
The Alliance is not to be confused with the SUPREME ALLIANCE and the ICELANDIC ALLIANCE (q.v.), both Earth political entities from the 51st Century (4S).
- ANTHROPOLOGY The study of Man and Man's history begins when Scaroth's ship exploded, creating life on Earth around 3.5 billion years ago (5H). During the Jurassic era, the petrified hand of the Kastrian Eldrad landed on Earth and became a fossil (4N). The various reptiles scooped up by Prof. Whitaker's time device were also taken from the Jurassic (WWW). 140 million years ago, towards the end of the Jurassic, the powerful alien Xeraphin visited Earth (6C).
It was during the Cretaceous era that the (misnamed) "Silurians" (BBB) and their aquatic brethren, the "Sea Devils" (LLL), ruled the Earth. Mammals must already have evolved into some kind of early primate, since on several occasions, members of both reptilian races indicated that they were familiar with this type of creature.
At the end of the Mesozoic era (65 million years ago), the Silurians and the Sea Devils were driven underground by some, as yet unknown, cosmic event. Members of the Silurian species encountered by the Third Doctor blamed it on a sudden change in the Van Allen radiation belt (BBB). Some theories include other cosmic phenomenon such as movements of the Moon, or of Earth's twin planet, Mondas. There is also a possibility that the Silurians somehow became aware of the forthcoming crash of a space liner from the future (6B).
Near the beginning of the Pliocene era (40 million years ago), the Fendahl Skull landed on Earth and began to influence man's evolution (4X). During the Paleolithic era, circa 100,000 BC, the First Doctor and his Companions, Susan, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, helped a tribe of Neanderthal cavemen rediscover the secret of fire (A). Around the same time, the alien being known as "Light" visited the Earth, intending to catalog its evolution (7Q)
- Between 50,000 and 30,000 BC, the Neanderthals became extinct and were replaced by early modern humans, thanks to the intervention of the awesome aliens known as the Daemons (JJJ). Also, two alien, vegetable Krynoid pods landed in the Antarctic and buried themselves into the permafrost (4L).
During the later part of the Paleolithic era (20,000 to 8000 BC), Earth was visited by the Mondasians, from Earth's twin planet, who left behind legends of Space Gods and Giants Who Walked The Earth (DD); and by a Martian ship whose crew became buried in a glacier (OO). During the Neolithic era (between 6000 and 3000 BC), the powerful alien Osirians visited Ancient Egypt, creating a new pantheon of gods in their image (4G). Another of the so-called Egyptian "gods" was, in reality, a splinter of Scaroth of the Jagaroth (5H).
Circa 3000 BC, the alien villainess Cessair of Diplos, fleeing the Megara justice machines, landed on Earth and impersonated a Druidic goddess, the Cailleach. (5C). Soon afterwards, the alien Urbankans visited Earth for the first time, kidnapping an Australian Aborigene named Kurkutji (5W). During the late Neolithic era (1800-1400 BC), the Meddling Monk helped build Stonehenge (S).
- ANTIQUITY Period of Earth History frequently visited by the First Doctor: Ancient Egypt circa 2600 BC (V), the Trojan War (1300 BC) (U), and Rome in 64 AD (M).
- ASSISSIUM Roman town. The First Doctor stayed in a villa near it (M).
- ATLANTIS Circa 1500 BC, the volcano on the island of Thera, in the Aegean Sea, erupted in a violent explosion, one of the most stupendous of all times. According to ancient Egyptian records later rewritten by Plato, this was the site of a flourishing civilization, known as Atlantis, which perished in the cataclysm. The eruption was triggered when the Master released -- in spite of the Third Doctor's intervention -- the time-devouring entity known as Kronos, which the Atlanteans had trapped in a crystal (OOO).
The inhabitants of a lonely Atlantean outpost located south of the Azores in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean were cut off from their civilization and forced to eke out a miserable underground existence for nearly thirty-five centuries. They were "discovered" by Prof. Zaroff in 1968 AD, and used in his insane plans to destroy the world. Fortunately, Zaroff was ultimately defeated by the Second Doctor, Jamie, Ben Jackson and Polly (GG)
- AUSTRALIA Country visited by the Second Doctor in the 21st Century during his encounter with Salamander (PP). Magnus Greel was known as the Butcher of Brisbane (4S). Kurkutji was an Australian Aborigene kidnapped by the Urbankans circa 3019 BC (Australian Aborigenes are estimated to have first populated Australia between 40,000 BC and 25,000 BC) (5W). Tegan Jovanka (q.v.) was Australian.
- BEACON HILL British Research Establishment whose radio-telescope dishes the Master used to contact the Nestene. When the Third Doctor showed up to investigate, a Time Lord warned him about the Master's presence on Earth (EEE).
- BEDFORSHIRE Location of a fault which the Daleks planned to split, in order to drain Earth's core and replace it with giant starship engines during their 2164 AD invasion (K).
- BLOC As the 21st Century began, countries grouped themselves into Blocs, sometimes at odds with each other (6L). Later, these grew into Zones (PP).BOER WAR A Boer army was kidnapped by the Warlords, using time technology stolen from the Time Lords. The soldiers went on to take part in the War Games, until these were brought to a stop by the Second Doctor's intervention (ZZ).
- BRIGHTON Seaside resort on the South Coast of England. The Fourth Doctor and Romana stopped there before travelling to the Leisure Hive. K9 was damaged by sea water (5N). Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Doris once spent some romantic time in a Brighton hotel (ZZZ).
- BRISBANE Magnus Greel was known as the Butcher of Brisbane (4S).
- BUDAPEST Capital of Hungary and location of Alexander Denes' headquarters (PP)
- CAMBRIDGE The Cambridge univerity fiasco of 1959 was tied to an unsuccessful attempt to open Devil's Hump (JJJ). The Master, posing as Prof. Thascales, worked at the Newton Research Institute in Cambridge on TOM-TIT and the Kronos Crystal (OOO). The Fourth Doctor and Romana visited St. Cedd's College to see Prof. Chronotis. During that visit, the Doctor fought Skagra and mentioned he had taken an Honorary Degree in 1960 (5M). The Doctor and Romana were then kidnapped by Borusa's Time Scoop and became trapped in a time eddy (6K).
- CAMELOT Legendary capital of King Arthur. The Doctor failed to save it in one of his future incarnations (as Merlin) (7N).
- CARBURY English village near which Vortigern's Lake was located. The Seventh Doctor, Ace, Lethbridge-Stewart and Bambera fought Morgaine, Mordred and her men there (7N).
- CATHAY Name given to ancient China (D).
- CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY U.S. intelligence agency. Bill Filer, who helped the Third Doctor defeat Axos, may have been a CIA agent (GGG). Hawk and Weismuller may have been CIA agents too (7F).
- CHARING CROSS London underground station invaded by the Web of Fear (QQ).
- CHELSEA AIRPORT One of London locations where the First Doctor fought the Daleks during their invasion of Earth in AD 2164 (K).
- CHINA Country visited by the Doctor on several occasions. Lin Futu was a Chinese mandarin from the so-called "Futu" dynasty, kidnapped by the Urbankans, probably circa 1769 BC (There is no trace of a "Futu" dynasty in China, however the Shang Dynasty (18th to 12th Century BC) would be consistent with Lin Futu, based on archeological discoveries made at the burial site of Fu Hao, a royal member of that dynasty.) Lin Futu met the Fifth Doctor aboard Monarch's ship (5W). In an unrecorded adventure, the Doctor fought Fenric in China in the 3rd Century AD and trapped him inside a flask (7M).
The First Doctor then visited the court of Kublai Khan in the 13th Century (D). In 19th Century London, the Fourth Doctor fought against the Chinese Tong of the Black Scorpion, led by Magnus Greel, a war criminal from the 51st Century, who impersonated the Chinese god Weng-Chiang (4S).
In the 20th Century, China was a key participant in a World Peace Conference threatened by the Master and saved by the Third Doctor, who claimed to have met Mao Tse Tung during the Long March (FFF). Afterwards, the Chinese wanted to pull out of a similar conference, but Sir Reginald Styles convinced them to change their minds (KKK). Li Shou Yuing was a young archeologist of Chinese descent who fought alongside Ace against Morgaine at Carbury (7N).
- CHIPPING NORTON Neighbouring village of Moreton Harwood (K9).
- COAL HILL SCHOOL London school attended by Susan while the First Doctor was on business connected with the Hand of Omega. There, she met the two teachers, Ian Chesterton and Barabara Wright, who became the Doctor's Companions (A). The school was later invaded by the Imperial Daleks, who took control of its Headmaster and established a transmat base in its cellar, in an effort to obtain the Hand of Omega (7
- CORNWALL The First Doctor, Ben and Polly fought Captain Pike's pirates in 17th Century Cornwall (CC).
- CORNWALL GARDENS One of London locations where the First Doctor fought the Daleks during their invasion of Earth in AD 2164 (K).
- COVENT GARDEN London underground station invaded by the Web of Fear (QQ).
- CRANLEIGH HALL Residence of the Cranleighs (6A).
- CRANLEIGH HALT Railway station located near Cranleigh Hall (6A).
- CRUSADES Military expeditions undertaken by Western European Christians between 1095 and 1270 AD to recover Jerusalem from Saracen control. The First Doctor helped King Richard Lionheart towards the end of the Third Crusade (circa 1191 AD) (P).
- CULLODEN (6 April 1746) The last battle of the "Forty-five Rebellion", when the Jacobites under Charles Edward, the Young Pretender (Bonnie Prince Charlie), were defeated by the English army, led by the Duke of Cumberland. The Second Doctor met Jamie soon afterwards (FF).
- DARLINGTON UNIVERSITY Prof. Hayter worked there (6C)
- DEAUVILLE French city on the Channel coast. Colonel Skinsale lost a large sum of money to Lord Palmerdale in its casino before becoming shipwrecked on Fang Rock (4V).
- DERBYSHIRE Location of the British atomic research station of Wenley Moor, and of the Silurians' shelters (BBB).
- DET-SEN Tibetan monastery which the Doctor first visited in the 17th Century in an unrecorded adventure. The Second Doctor returned there in the mid-1930s to fight its High Lama, Padmasambhava, whose mind had been taken over by the Great Intelligence, and the robot Yeti (NN).
- DEVESHAM British village copied by the Kraals to serve as testing ground for their android invasion of Earth. It was near a Space Research Station, later invaded by the Kraals' androids (4J).
- DEVIL'S END Village where Devil's Hump was located (JJJ).
- DEVIL'S HUMP Barrow mound where Azal was buried (JJJ).
- DISNEYLAND Famous amusement park located in Anaheim, California. A company operating a hyperspatial tollport offered a trip to 1959 Disneyland as a prize to selected customers. Chimeron Queen Delta joined the trip, trying to escape Gavrok's Bannermen. The bus hit a satellite, forcing it to land in 1959 Wales instead (7F).
- DRAGON (HOUSE OF THE) Temple of Weng-Chiang in London. The statue of the giant dragon housed a sophisticated and deadly laser cannon in its eyes (4S).
- DRUIDS The British Institute for Druidic Studies was led by De Vries and served the alien Cessair of Diplos (5C). The Master recreated a Druidic-like cult to awaken Azal (JJJ). Sarah Jane and K9 (Mark III) defeated a coven of Druids led by Commander Pollock and Lily Gregson in the village of Moreton Harwood (K9).
- EGYPT The First Doctor visited Egypt at the time of the construction of Kephren's Pyramid, circa 2600 BC (V). Later, the Fourth Doctor found himself trapped in Sutekh's Pyramid. Sutekh was the last of the Osirians, an alien race who were the source of the Ancient Egyptians' mythology (4G). Scaroth the Jagaroth was mistaken for a god by the Ancient Egyptians (5H).
- END OF THE WORLD Man-made disasters which could have brought about the end of the world included: Forester's deadly insecticide DN6 (J); WOTAN's war machines (BB); Prof. Zaroff's plan to drain the ocean into the Earth's core (GG); Salamander's volcanic disaster (PP); Prof. Stahlman's "Inferno" project (DDD); and Sir Charles Grover's Operation Golden Age (WWW).
World War III was almost provoked by the Master (FFF); the Daleks (KKK); the Scientific Reform Society (4A); the Silurians and the Sea Devils (6L). Pollution threatened Earth in the form of the Weed (RR) and the Green Death (TTT). Also see WORLD WAR III, POLLUTION.
Natural disasters that could have spelled out the end of the world (or of its civilization) included: a new ice age (OO); solar flares (4C); and finally the sun going nova (X).
Aliens who would have liked to destroy Earth (instead of conquering it) included the Daleks (K), the Cybermen (DD, 6B, 6T), Axos (GGG), Sutekh (4G), the Krynoids (4L), the Fendahl (4X), the Captain of Zanak (5B), Monarch (5W), Omega (6E), the corrupt High Council of the Time Lords, when they decided upon the Ravolox Stratagem (7A-7C), the Destroyer (7N), and Light (7Q)
- natural gas (RR); nuclear energy (BBB, GGG, 4N); and even good, old-fashioned fire (A). A world Energy Conference was almost sabotaged by the Zygons (4F). Solar energy was captured in the 21st Century by Salamander, who used his Suncatcher satellite (PP). Prof. Stahlman almost destroyed Earth when he tried to break the Earth's crust to tap Stahlman's Gas (DDD)
- EURO-SEA GAS CORPORATION Company whose North Sea refinery and off-shore rigs were attacked by the Weed. It supplied natural gas to England and Wales. Its London Board member, Megan Jones, helped the Second Doctor destroy the Weed and free the refinery controller, Robson (RR).
- FANG ROCK Remote rocky island a few miles off the Channel coast. It was the location of a lighthouse, and was rumoured to be haunted by a mysterious Beast. In the early 1900s, the Fourth Doctor and Leela destroyed a stranded Rutan who had taken the shape of Reuben, the old lighthouse keeper. In addition to Reuben, the Rutan killed the other two keepers, Ben Travers and Vince Hawkins, as well as the survivors of a shipwreck: Lord Palmerdale, Adelaide Lesage, Colonel Skinsale and crewmember Harker (4V).
- FETCHBOROUGH English village where the Fetch Priory was located (4X).
- FETCH PRIORY Location of Dr. Fendelman's laboratory. It was utterly destroyed by the time implosion set up by the Fourth Doctor to destroy the Fendahl Core and the Fendahleen (4X).
- FLEUR DE LIS Name of the Devesham pub (4J)
- FRANCE Country visited by the First Doctor during the French Revolution, allegedly his "favourite period in history" (H), and at the time of the St. Batholomew's Day's Massacre (W). The Fourth Doctor and Romana fought Scaroth in Paris (5H). A French Napoleonic army was kidnapped by the Warlords during the War Games (ZZ). Lord Palmerdale had just returned from Deauville when his ship crashed on Fang Rock (4V). The Second Doctor met Frenchman Jules Benoit on the Moonbase (HH). After being freed by the Second Doctor, Colin McLaren and his supporters salied to France (FF). According to some accounts, Ace eventually chose to live in 1880 France, where she married one of Sorin's ancestors.
- FRENCH REVOLUTION Name given to the revolutionary movement that overthrew the French Monarchy and shook France between 1787 and 1799 AD. The First Doctor called it his "favourite period in history" (H).
- GABRIEL CHASE Evil house located in Perivale. Ace burned it down in 1983. The Seventh Doctor took her back there in 1883. They discovered the house was under the control of Josiah Samuel Smith, who kept explorer Redvers Fenn-Cooper prisoner and plotted to use him to assassinate Queen Victoria. Gabriel Chase had been built on top of the spaceship of the powerful alien, Light, whom Fenn-Cooper had discovered and brought back to England, and whom Ace released. After the Doctor defeated Light, Fenn-Cooper and two other occupants left in the alien's ship (7Q).
- GALACTIC SALVAGE Space insurance company, formed in London in 2068 AD, but disbanded in 2096 AD. Several decades later, the Fourth Doctor betrayed himself on board the Empress when he pretended to be one of its employees (5K).
- GATWICK One of London's airports. In 1966, the Second Doctor fought the Chameleons there (KK).
- GHANA African country. It was the location of the 1996 World's Fair, whose House of Horrors was briefly visited by the First Doctor and the Daleks (R).
- GOBI DESERT The First Doctor and his Companions crossed it, along with Marco Polo and Tegana (D).
- GORSEDD According to Welsh legends, a place of augurs. The three Gorsedds in England were Stonehenge, Bryn Gwiddon and Boscombe Moor (5C).
- GREAT FIRE OF LONDON (1666 AD) It was started by the Fifth Doctor in an effort to destroy the plague rats infected by the Terileptils (5X).
- GREECE The ancient civilization of Atlantis, located in the island of Thera in the Aegean Sea, was the object of stories written by Plato (OOO). Ancient Greece was one of the protagonists involved in the Trojan War, in which both the First Doctor (U) and the Rani (6X) took part. Bigon was a Greek philosopher kidnapped by the Urbankans, probably circa 519 BC (5W). Delos was a Greek slave who befriended Ian aboard a Roman galley (M). One of the Eternals wore the guise of Critas, the captain of a Greek galley (6H). The Fifth Doctor and Turlough met Peri on a Greek Island, near which a Trion ship had crashed (6Q).
- HALLEY'S COMET Famous comet which passed near Earth approximately every 76 years. Cybermen from the future planned to crash it into the Earth in 1986, just after Mondas had re-energized itself, and thus save their homeworld. The Time Lords' Celestial Intervention Agency manipulated the Sixth Doctor into thwarting their plans (DD, 6T).
- HASTINGS (14 October 1066) Battle that ended in the defeat of King Harold II by William the Conqueror. The First Doctor prevented the Meddling Monk from changing the course of history (S).
- HEATHROW One of London's airports. Tegan was on her way there when she had a flat tyre and became involved in the Fourth Doctor's clash with the Master (5V). The Fifth Doctor took her back to the Heathrow site, but in 1666 AD (5X). Soon afterwards, he helped rescue a Concorde plane which had been hijacked to the Jurassic by the Master. Tegan accidentally remained behind (6C).
- HENLOW DOWNS British military installation whose resources were used to fight the Cybermen (VV).
- HOLLAND The Fifth Doctor fought Omega in Amsterdam (6E).
- ICELAND North Atlantic island which was the seat of the peaceful Icelandic Alliance in the 51st Century. After its Commissioner was assassinated by Greel's Peking Homunculus, World War Six erupted and the ruthless Supreme Alliance came into power. It was finally overthrown at the battle of Reykjavik (4S).
- ICELANDIC ALLIANCE Peaceful 51st Century power which fell after its Commissioner was assassinated by Magnus Greel's Peking Homunculus (4S).
- INDIAN OCEAN The S.S. Bernice was crossing the Indian Ocean en route to Singapore in 1926 AD when it was captured by Vorg's Scope (PPP).
- INFERNO London discotheque where Polly met Ben Jackson (BB).
- INTERNATIONAL SPACE COMMAND Geneva-based, multinational entity in charge of Earth's space program in general, and the Snowcap Space Tracking Station in particular. Its Secretary-General was Wigner (DD). In 2070 AD, Ringberg was controller of International Space Command when the Cybermen attacked the Moonbase (HH).
- INVERNESS Scottish town from which Gray conducted his slave trade (FF).
- ITALY The First Doctor visited Rome in the year 64 AD (M). The Fourth Doctor was in Italy twice during the Renaissance, first in San Martino (4M), then in Leonardo Da Vinci's house (5H).
- JAFFA The market city of Palestine. The First Doctor and his Companions rematerialized nearby at the time of the Third Crusade (P).
- JODRELL BANK Observatory whose radioscopes were used to fight the Daleks (7H).
- JURASSIC It was during the Jurassic -- 195 to 136 million years ago -- that Eldrad's hand landed on Earth (4N)
- LA PIRANELLA Seville restaurant managed by Oscar Botcherby. The Second Doctor and Shockeye ate there (6W).
- LAST CHANCE SALOON Tombstone saloon (Z).
- LITTLE HODCOMBE English Village destroyed during the English Civil War in 1643 AD. It was where Tegan's grandfather, Andrew Verney, lived. Verney discovered the alien Malus buried beneath its church. The Malus was activated by Sir George Hutchinson's unbalanced mind. Under their combined influences, a series of deadly war games reenacting the Civil War was launched. The Fifth Doctor eventually found a way to cut the Malus off from the villagers' emotions. After Sir George's death, the Malus destroyed itself, and peace returned to Little Hodcombe (6M).
- LIVERPOOL The First Doctor stopped there for Christmas during his flight from the Daleks' Masterplan (V).
- LLANFAIRFACH Quiet, Welsh mining village. It was the site of both the Nuthutch commune and the Global Chemicals refinery where the Green Death occurred (TTT).
- LOCH NESS Circa 1179 AD, Loch Ness became the home of the Borad, a monstrous, quasi-reptilian alien from Planet Karfel, which had been banished through a time tunnel known as Timelash by the Sixth Doctor (6Y). Circa 1676 AD, the crippled spaceship of the Zygons landed in Loch Ness. The Zygons and their Skarasen presumably killed the Borad, and the Skarasen then became the Loch Ness Monster. In 1976, the Zygons used the Skarasen to sink some oil rigs and sabotage a World Energy Conference. Freed from the Zygons by the Fourth Doctor, the Skarasen returned to Loch Ness where, presumably, he lived peacefully forever afterwards (4F).
- LUDDITE UPRISINGS Violent attacks conducted by 19th Century handicraftsmen against machinery. Some attacks were indirectly caused by the Rani's removal of human's brain fluids (6X).
- MAGNA CARTA Charter of English liberties granted by King John in 1215 AD under threat of Civil War. The Master used Kamelion in an attempt to turn the Barons against King John to prevent its signing (6J).
- MORETON HARWOOD Small British village where Sarah Jane Smith's Aunt Lavinia lived. Sarah and K9 Mark III exposed and defeated a sect of the worshippers of the pagan goddess Hecate. These were led by Commander Pollock and Lily Gregson, who wanted to sacrifice Brendan because the local crops were not faring well (K9).
- NAPOLEONIC WARS A French army was kidnapped by the Warlords, using time technology stolen from the Time Lords. The soldiers went on to take part in the War Games, until these were brought to a stop by the Second Doctor's intervention (ZZ).
- NAZIS A gang of Nazi refugees in South America, led by De Flores, tried to seize control of the Silver Nemesis. They were killed by the Cybermen (7K).
- NERO (37-68) Mad Roman emperor who reveled in violence, and eventually started the Great Fire of Rome. He fell in love with Barbara, and mistook the First Doctor for the famous lyre-player, Maximus Pettullian (M).
- NORTH SEA It was the home of a parasitic, intelligent Weed, which attacked off-shore rigs belonging to the Euro-Sea Gas Corporation (RR). The Zygons' Skarasen also traveled through an underground passage from Loch Ness to the North Sea to attack several off-shore rigs (4F).
- NORTHUMBRIA The First Doctor fought the Meddling Monk there in 1066 AD (S).
- O.K. CORRAL (GUNFIGHT AT THE) (26 October 1881) Famous gunfight between the Clanton brothers (and Johnny Ringo) on one side, and the Earp Brothers and Doc Holliday on the other. It ended with the Clantons' deaths. The First Doctor was mistaken for Doc Holliday, and almost took part in it (Z).
- OXLEY WOODS Landing site of the Nestene meteorites. It was also where the Third Doctor's TARDIS rematerialized after his first trial by the Time Lords (AAA).
- PEASE POTTAGE Mel came from Pease Pottage, Sussex (7C).
- PEKING (a.k.a. BEIJING) Capital of China. The First Doctor met Kublai Khan there (D). Magnus Greel's Time Cabinet was brought to Peking by Emperor T'ungchi's soldiers, and later given to Prof. Litefoot's family (4S).
- PERIVALE Ace's home town. The Seventh Doctor took her back to confront her fears in the evil house, Gabriel Chase, in 1883 AD (7Q). Eventually, Ace returned to modern-day Perivale to look up her friends, and helped the Seventh Doctor rescue several of its denizens who had been kidnapped by the Master and the Cheetah People (7P).
- PHAROS PROJECT Earth project using a radiotelescope to search for intelligent lifeforms and transmit messages to remote planets. The Logopolitans used block transfer computations to copy it, and broadcast the necessary calculations needed to keep the Charged Vacuum Emboitements open and prolong the life of the universe. After the Master disrupted the workings of Logopolis, the CVEs began closing. Fortunately, the Logopolitans had discovered an equation that would stabilize them. In spite of the Master's attempts to stop him and blackmail the Universe, the Fourth Doctor succeeded in using the Pharos Project to broadcast the Logopolitans' final calculations. However, the Master caued the Doctor to fall and almost die, triggering another regeneration (5V). The Master kidnapped Adric before leaving the site of the Pharos Project (5Z).
- POST OFFICE TOWER Famous London site which was the location of WOTAN (BB).
- PRIORY (OLD) Prof. Scarman's house. It was burned down in the 1911 conflagration that followed the Fourth Doctor's battle with Sutekh (4G). UNIT headquarters was later built on that site.
- PUDDING LANE London street where the Fifth Doctor started the Great Fire of 1666 AD (5X).
- PYRAMIDS The First Doctor fought the Daleks and the Monk at the time of the construction of Kephren's Pyramid, circa 2600 BC (V). The god-like Osirian Sutekh was prisoner inside a pyramid on Earth, somehow prevented from leaving by the Eye of Horus, which was kept inside a pyramid on Mars (4G).
- RAVOLOX In order to obtain the Time Lords' secret of time travel, spies from Andromeda (the "Sleepers") successfully infiltrated the Gallifreyan Matrix, choosing Earth as their base of operations. When they discovered the Andromedans' plan, the Time Lords struck back. The actions they took against Andromeda itself are unknown, but they used a Magnotron to move Earth (and possibly the entire Solar System) by several light years to another part of space, and rechristened it Ravolox. When the Sixth Doctor first set foot on Ravolox, and learned that it was Earth, he claimed that two million years had elapsed; however, historical and archeological evidence make this duration unlikely. This action, which seems to have occurred c. 14,000 AD, resulted in considerable death and destruction, but was blamed on a freak cosmic phenomenon (a fireball).
The Ravolox Stratagem was uncovered five hundred years later, when the Sixth Doctor and Peri visited Ravolox, and was publicly exposed during the Doctor's Trial. Indeed, the Doctor was put on trial because the corrupt High Council of Gallifrey was afraid that he would find out what they had done. On Ravolox, the Doctor met the tribe of the Free, led by Katryca. He thwarted Sabalom Glitz's efforts to steal the secrets taken from the Matrix by the Sleepers. He also destroyed Drathro, the immortal robot who guarded the Sleepers, and ruled an underground civilization of human slaves known as UK Habitat (7A-7C).
Afterwards, the Time Lords probably moved the Solar System back to its original location in space, where it was "rediscovered". The destruction caused by the planetary move was still being explained away as the result of a "fireball", or "solar flares", when Earth was reclaimed by the passengers of the space ark Terra Nova, and human colonists from other planets (4C-4B).
- SAINT CEDD'S COLLEGE Cambridge college visited by the Doctor in unrecorded adventures in 1955, 1958, 1960 (when he took an Honorary Degree) and 1964. It was there that Salyavin settled as Prof. Chronotis. The Fourth Doctor fought Skagra on its premises (5M).
- SCOTLAND The Second Doctor landed near Culloden in 1746 AD (FF). The Borad, a Karfelon tyrant who had been defeated by the Sixth Doctor, was transported by his Timelash to 12th Century Scotland, near Inverness, and took up residence in Loch Ness. Presumably he was killed by the Zygons and their Skarasen when they took over the Loch in 1676 AD (6Y). The Fourth Doctor fought the Zygons in Tulloch in 1976. By then, the Zygons' Skarasen had become the Loch Ness Monster (4F).
- SHANGRI-LA 1959 Welsh holiday camp managed by Mr. Burton. A galactic tour bus from the future was forced to land there after hitting a U.S. satellite. It carried Chimeron Queen Delta, who was fleeing from Gavrok's Bannermen. The Bannermen were thwarted by the Seventh Doctor, Billy and Ray, Goronwy, and two U.S. secret agents, Hawk and Weismuller. They were finally defeated by the young Chimeron Princess' ultrasonic powers, broadcast over Shangri-La's public address system (7F).
- SPAIN The Sixth Doctor rescued the Second Doctor from Chessene and the Sontarans in Seville (6W). One of Captain Pike's pirates was known as the Spaniard (CC).
- STANBRIDGE HOUSE Location of the World Energy Conference threatened by Broton and his Skarasen (4F).
- STANGMOOR British prison. Its governor was Victor Camford. It was the testing place of the Keller Machine. Later, the Master helped the prisoners, led by Mailer, to take over the Prison, and used its inmates to hijack the Thunderbolt Missile. Stangmoor was finally recaptured by Benton (FFF).
- STANHAM Location of the deserted airfield where the Master his the Thunderbolt Missile (FFF).
- STONEHENGE The Meddling Monk claimed to have helped the natives build Stonehenge with antigrav lifts (S).
- TIBET The First Doctor landed on the Pamir Plateau and there, met Marco Polo in 1289 AD (D). The Great Intelligence first attempted to conquer Earth in Tibet in the mid-1930s, using Det-Sen Monastery's High Lama Padmasambhava and its robot Yeti, but was thwarted by the Second Doctor (NN). During the course of this adventure, the Doctor indicated that he had visited Tibet during the 17th Century. K'Anpo, a retired Time Lord, had adopted the lifestyle of a Tibetan monk and ran a Tibetan monastery in Mortimer, near London, which was almost taken over by the Spiders of Metebelis 3 (ZZZ).
- TROJAN WAR Legendary conflict between the early Greeks and the city of Troy, which took place in the 12th or 13th Century BC. The Trojan War began after Paris, son of King Priam of Troy, ran off with Helen, wife of Menelaus of Sparta. Agamemnon, Menelaus's brother, then led a Greek expedition against Troy. The war lasted 10 years, finally ending after crafty Odysseus prompted the First Doctor to come up with the stratagem of the Trojan Horse (U).
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA During his first incarnation, the Doctor visited New York (R) and Hollywood (V), both very briefly, and, for a longer time, Tombstone, Arizona (Z). A Confederate Army was kidnapped by the War Lords (ZZ). Peri Brown (q.v.) was an American. The First Doctor met American General Cutler at the South Pole Space Tracking Station (DD). The Third Doctor met American security agent Bill Filer (GGG). The Seventh Doctor helped American security agents Hawk and Weismuller recover a lost satellite (7F). Lady Peinforte was given a ride by American tourist Lavinia P. Hackensack near Windsor (7K). The First Doctor met another American tourist, Morton Dill, at the top of the Empire State Building (R). He later met Hollywood producer Steinberger P. Green (V).
- VAN ALLEN BELT Doughnut shaped radiation belt surrounding Earth and protecting it from the Sun's more harmful rays. The Young Silurian and Icthar attempted to destroy it with a molecular disperser in order to render Earth uninhabitable by Mankind. They were stopped by the Third Doctor (BBB).
- WALES The Third Doctor went to the Welsh village of Llanfairfach to deal with the Green Death (TTT). In 1959, the Seventh Doctor helped save Delta and the South Wales holiday camp of Shangri-La from the Bannermen (7F).
- WENLEY MOOR Derbyshire site of a British atomic research station, built in a network of underground caves which were also the location of a Silurian shelter. Power leaks from the station awakened the Silurians. It was then plagued by losses of power and a high rate of mental breakdowns among its staff, all caused by the Silurians. Its director, Dr. Lawrence, eventually called on UNIT to investigate. The station was eventually saved from total destruction by the Third Doctor (BBB).
- WESSEX Sir Edward's lands and catle. Irongron tried to take them over (UUU).
- WHIPSNADE Natural park located just outside London which Dodo once visited with her school (X).
- WINDSOR Validium landed in Windsor in 1638 and was shaped into the Silver Nemesis by Lady Peinforte. The Doctor launched the Silver Nemesis into space in a rocket-powered asteroid. The statue's bow became the Queen's property and was kept at Windsor castle, where it was stolen. The Nemesis eventually returned to Windsor in 1988 AD and became the object of a war between the Seventh Doctor, the Nazis, led by De Flores, Lady Peinforte and the Cybermen (7K).